August 21, 2020
There are almost one hundred museums in Amsterdam. The list ranges from the more well-known such as the Rijksmuseum, the Stedelijk Museum, the Anne Frank House and the Van Gogh Museum, to the obscure like the Torture Museum, the Museum of Handbags and Purses and the Museum of Prostitution. Which ones to visit is entirely up to you, but to help you make an informed choice, here is a countdown of which we consider to be the top 5 museums in Amsterdam!
Amsterdam's top museums
#5: The Moco Museum is dedicated to modern, contemporary and street art, and was the first museum in the world to house an exhibition by Banksy. This boutique museum offer visitors an unparalleled collection of subversive art in which irony and humour are used to reflect on modern society. Seeing modern and contemporary art here is a one-of-a-kind experience.
#4: The Stedelijk Museum is the most important venue for modern art, contemporary art, and design in the Netherlands. Housed partly in a historical building and partly in a recently completed futuristic annex, it boasts an impressive collection of artworks from the early 20th century to the 21st century (including works by Appel, Kandinsky, Pollock and countless others).
#3: Also known as the Museum of Prostitution, Red Light Secrets offers the most comprehensive insight into the history of prostitution and the Red Light District in Amsterdam. There is no other place like it!
#2: The Van Gogh Museum is a fascinating museum with the largest collection of paintings, letters, drawings and sketches by Vincent van Gogh. Definitely, one of the museums in Amsterdam you should not miss!
Our favourite Amsterdam museum
#1: There is no other choice than the Rijksmuseum, which is the largest museum in Amsterdam as well as the Netherlands. It is also one of the most celebrated museums in Europe. It houses over 8,000 art objects and historical artifacts, as well as several masterpieces by Rembrandt van Rijn, Frans Hals, and Johannes Vermeer. Its first place on our list of museums in Amsterdam is well deserved and you won't regret visiting here.
Where can you book cheap tickets to the museums in Amsterdam?
The best place to book cheap tickets to these (and several other) museums in Amsterdam is online, right here on the Tours & Tickets website. You can find an overview of cheap tickets to museums in Amsterdam here.
- Staff favourite Rijksmuseum €22.50
- Van Gogh Museum €22.00
- Staff favourite Red Light Secrets €17.00 €14.50
- New STRAAT Museum – Street art and Graffiti €18.50
- Diamond Museum Amsterdam €12.50
- Staff favourite Moco Museum €22.95 €19.95
- Amsterdam Museum €20.00 €18.00
- NEMO Science Museum €17.50
- The National Maritime Museum €16.50 €15.50
- Stedelijk Museum €22.50
- Jewish Cultural Quarter €18.00 €17.00
- New ARTIS-Groote Museum €17.50
- ARTIS-Micropia €17.50
- Erotic Museum €8.00 €7.50
- Hash Marihuana & Hemp Museum €9.50 €9.00
- Foam €12.50
- Museum of the Canals €16.50
- Dutch Resistance Museum €14.00 €13.00
- Rembrandt House Museum €17.50
- Torture Museum €9.50 €9.00
- Willet-Holthuysen Museum €12.50 €11.50
Our top tips
- Jun 2, 2023 Tips for the perfect summer in Copenhagen
- May 30, 2023 Amsterdam Art Week: an international hub for art lovers
- May 16, 2023 Experience rainbow colours during Rotterdam Pride
- May 12, 2023 Celebrate the National Day of Sweden: 500 year anniversary
- May 5, 2023 Copenhagen: the city of craft beer
- May 4, 2023 Discover Berlin’s best museums
- May 2, 2023 Celebrating 185 years of ARTIS in Amsterdam
- Apr 18, 2023 A true Dutch party - King’s Day in Rotterdam
- Apr 14, 2023 Visit attractions for free during Stockholm Culture Night
- Apr 11, 2023 Celebrating King's Day in Amsterdam