February 10, 2021
The highlight of Dutch spring - Keukenhof, is a must-visit. The beautiful flower garden is on a lot of people’s bucket list. And what better way to share your adventure at Keukenhof with your friends than taking some photos? Read on, and we will give you some inside photography tips to create the best memories.
Arrive early in the morning
As said before, Keukenhof is on many people’s bucket list. That’s why it can be quite busy. And no one wants a lot of people in their landscape photography. That’s why early birds will be rewarded with photos without a lot of other people on it. And, of course, you have more time to spend in the gardens. Win-win!
Embrace the weather
Don’t be sad if the weather predicts clouds and some rain. These conditions are good to photograph in this environment. On a sunny day, shoot the displays indoors when the sun is high between 11:00 am and 2:00 pm.
Make a plan
When you arrive early in the morning, you can discover Keukenhof at your own speed. Keep in mind that during the day it can be more crowded. That’s why we advise you to mark the spots that you would like to photograph on a map. Later on, you can come back to this place and photograph the flowers. Plan for tightly framed images when the crowds are present. To get the best out of Keukenhof plan for a long day, as the crowds tend to lessen after 15:00 and you’ll have beautiful evening sun.
Of course, you can find an iconic Dutch windmill at Keukenhof. And, the building is the perfect background when you take a shot of the flowers in front of it. Just take a glimpse at the photo from a few years ago. Focus your lens on the flowers in front, and let your camera do the magic.
If you also have some Photoshop skills you can blur the less important details, and sharpen the flowers and windmill a bit. Another nice special effect you can create with Photoshop is to darken the air and windmill and brighten the flowers in front. This way the flowers really pop out. Let your creativity sore!
Are you ready to shoot some beautiful bulbs in bloom after reading our ‘Keukenhof photography tips’? Then continue to our Keukenhof page, and find the offer that suits you.
Our top tips
- May 30, 2023 Amsterdam Art Week: an international hub for art lovers
- May 16, 2023 Experience rainbow colours during Rotterdam Pride
- May 12, 2023 Celebrate the National Day of Sweden: 500 year anniversary
- May 5, 2023 Copenhagen: the city of craft beer
- May 4, 2023 Discover Berlin’s best museums
- May 2, 2023 Celebrating 185 years of ARTIS in Amsterdam
- Apr 18, 2023 A true Dutch party - King’s Day in Rotterdam
- Apr 14, 2023 Visit attractions for free during Stockholm Culture Night
- Apr 11, 2023 Celebrating King's Day in Amsterdam
- Apr 6, 2023 The best things to do during spring in Copenhagen