Although they are one of Holland’s famous attractions, there is an air of mystery about Amsterdam’s coffee shops. Many people believe that selling and smoking cannabis is legal in the Netherlands, while it would actually be more accurate to say that it isn’t illegal. This is an important distinction to keep in mind and there are a couple of things you should know about Amsterdam coffee shops if you’re planning on visiting one during your holidays. So without further ado, here are a couple of frequently asked questions about the coffee shops in Amsterdam:
1. Is it legal to smoke weed on the streets of Amsterdam?
No, this is a common misconception. You are only allowed to smoke inside the smoking rooms of the Amsterdam coffee shops.
2. What’s the minimum age to purchase cannabis?
You must be at least 18 years old to buy weed in Holland, and Amsterdam coffee shops are no exception to this rule. You’ll also need to show a valid ID at the entrance.
3. Where are the Amsterdam coffee shops located?
All over the city. There are more than 200 coffeeshops in Amsterdam. Generally, they tend to be more expensive the closer they are to the city center.
Other useful information
- Many Amsterdam coffee shops require you and every member of your group to buy a drink when you sit down inside. It’s best to avoid complaining about this rule, so either follow it or go to another coffeeshop.
- You can buy several strains of weed in the coffee shops in Amsterdam, and the potency of each strain varies greatly.
Party in Amsterdam: dos and don'ts
If you’re planning to visit coffee shops as well as partying in Amsterdam, there are a couple of things you should keep in mind. Don’t underestimate the potency of the cannabis and don’t mix it with alcohol. Do have somebody with you who isn’t drinking or smoking to make sure you are safe when you party in Amsterdam. And do stay well-hydrated at all times. Follow these tips and you’re sure to have a good time next time you party in Amsterdam!
There is also lots to discover in the city besides the coffeeshops, so don’t forget to take a look at our Amsterdam trips and cheap tickets to museums and attractions to make the most out of your holidays!