What to pack for winter in Amsterdam
Packing your bag for winter traveling can be a challenge. Especially if you go to a city like Amsterdam, where the weather can be kind of unpredictable. Read here the best tips to look good and feel warm at the same time.
Amsterdam winter weather
Although the weather in Amsterdam can be unpredictable, you can keep in mind that most of the time the winter will be a bit cold and wet. Generally the temperature is around 0°C, it can be a little more or less, but it can feel colder than that if it’s raining or when it’s windy.
What also can be present is snow! The amount of snow really varies every year, but if you are lucky you can see Amsterdam at its best with a beautiful snowy glow over the city.
There are even years it was freezing for so long that you could ice-skate on the Amsterdam canals! This is really rare, but imagine you can explore the city on your ice-skates.
Things you need
- The first thing you have to pack is a good pair of winter boots. If your feet are warm, the rest of your body will follow more quickly. Winter boots also help for the slippery days, because of the freezing rain or snow. To sum it up: winter boots are your best friends during your winter holiday in Amsterdam.
- In those winter boots, you can wear some nice warm socks. If you wear this combi, at least your feet are prepared for the cold days.
- If we go further up the body, you also need some jeans or warm leggings. People in Holland sometimes even wear both of them in wintertime, so a legging under your jeans. This way you’ll feel as warm as possible, without losing the nice look of your jeans.
- Another way to look good and feel warm at the same time is by wearing a thermal underlay. It is like the example of the legging, so wear some warm thermal clothes under your regular clothes.
- Also not unimportant is a warm and waterproof jacket. Preferably with a hood, so your hair stays in model for your night out in Amsterdam.
- And last but not least: gloves, a scarf, a hat and an umbrella. These items are the finishing touch to your winter outfit in Amsterdam. The best hat is one that keeps your ears warm. Warm ears, hands, and feet are half the battle!
Embrace the weather
Because the weather in the winter in Amsterdam can be different any day, you can plan a lot of fun things during your holidays. This can consist of indoor and outdoor activities. On rainy days, for example, you can go to museums and attractions. The dry days, on the other hand, are perfect for exploring the city with a walking tour, canal cruise or Hop on Hop off sightseeing bus and boat. In winter there are also lots of fun activities in the city like the Amsterdam Light Festival! During this Light Festival, Amsterdam is transformed into a beautiful open light museum with spectacular light artworks.