August 21, 2020
What to do in Amsterdam? First, there are the gorgeous, centuries-old canals that wind their way through the city, best seen by boat. And the pristine historical center, which looks like something out of a postcard. When thinking about what to do in Amsterdam, there’s also the enormous range of nightlife options, the world-class museums and the small towns that lie in the area. When weighing up what to do in Amsterdam, you may like to consider the most popular and authentic Dutch experiences, conveniently compiled below.
A bike tour is a great thing to consider when asking what to do in Amsterdam. Amsterdam is the most bicycle-friendly city in the world. There are over 380 kilometers of bicycle paths, as well as incredible bike infrastructure, and a proud cycling culture. Amsterdammers can go pretty fast on two wheels, so you may wish to consider a tour, as this ensures you’re guided around the city by an expert. You can also join a walking tour in Amsterdam if you prefer to take things a little slower.
Epic clubs, warm and cozy pubs, and boutique bars serving the national drink, juniper-flavored jenever - Amsterdam nightlife is amazing! If you love techno, pale lagers or just enjoying the night amongst friendly people, then you will feel right at home in Amsterdam. Some popular destinations include Club Amsterdamned, Craft & Draft, the Holland Casino, and the old Heineken Brewery. Not to be missed when asking what to do in Amsterdam.
There are few places on earth with better cultural institutions than Amsterdam. Amsterdam is home to the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, the Stedelijk Museum, as well as offbeat treasures like Red Light Secrets, BODY WORLDS and a space devoted to the history of torture. Some of the most popular activities when it comes to what to do in Amsterdam.
Explore the surrounds
Wondering what to do in Amsterdam for a truly traditional experience? Visit windmills, eat caramelly Gouda Cheese, inhale the aroma of a traditional Dutch bakery and bask in the peace and tranquillity of the countryside surrounding Amsterdam. We offer several great excursion options to see more of the country.
Article continues below
- Staff favourite Countryside and windmills tour from Amsterdam €59.00 €37.50
- Best deal Zaanse Schans Marken Edam Volendam Day Trip €69.00 €40.00
- Staff favourite Giethoorn Tour €89.00 €79.00
- Staff favourite Rotterdam, Delft & The Hague incl. Madurodam €89.00 €79.00
- Operated by Tours & Tickets Bruges Tour €79.00
- Operated by Tours & Tickets Charm of Holland Tour incl lunch €119.00 €99.00
- Countryside Bike Tour €38.00
- Operated by Tours & Tickets Brussels Tour €79.00
Cheap tickets are easy to come by at Tours and Tickets Amsterdam, experts in what to do in Amsterdam. With over thirty years of experience and a passion for Amsterdam, the touring experts offer cheap tickets to museums, attractions, small group tours, walking and bike tours, and kid’s attractions, and will help you discover what to do in Amsterdam.
Our top tips
- Jun 2, 2023 Tips for the perfect summer in Copenhagen
- May 30, 2023 Amsterdam Art Week: an international hub for art lovers
- May 16, 2023 Experience rainbow colours during Rotterdam Pride
- May 12, 2023 Celebrate the National Day of Sweden: 500 year anniversary
- May 5, 2023 Copenhagen: the city of craft beer
- May 4, 2023 Discover Berlin’s best museums
- May 2, 2023 Celebrating 185 years of ARTIS in Amsterdam
- Apr 18, 2023 A true Dutch party - King’s Day in Rotterdam
- Apr 14, 2023 Visit attractions for free during Stockholm Culture Night
- Apr 11, 2023 Celebrating King's Day in Amsterdam