October 12, 2020
Amsterdam’s tulips are world-famous and one of the most iconic symbols of the Netherlands. This beautiful flower was originally introduced from Turkey in the late 16th century and can be appreciated in Holland every year from mid-March to mid-May. While you can certainly find plenty of tulips in Amsterdam, the most common image people have is that of long colourful tulip fields, which are almost exclusively found in the countryside just outside of Amsterdam. But what are the best places to find tulips in Amsterdam and its surroundings?
#3 The Amsterdam Tulip Festival
The Amsterdam Tulip Festival is a combined effort from several museums and institutions like the Hortus Botanicus botanical garden, which plants more than 500,000 tulips of all shapes, colors, and sizes at various locations in the city. The Amsterdam Tulip Festival takes place during April and is one of the top opportunities to see tulips in Amsterdam if you’re in town during the spring.
The famous floating flower market (Bloemenmarkt) was established in 1862 and is the only one of its kind in the world. You can find all kinds of flowers as well as bulbs and tulips during the spring. It’s the best place to buy tulips in Amsterdam.
Although technically not in Amsterdam, Keukenhof is only a short ride away and definitely the number one place to visit if you’re interested in tulips. With over 7 million tulips, it is the largest flower garden in Europe. The design of the Keukenhof gardens is different every year and it is visited by millions of people from all over the world. Due to the fleeting nature of the flowers, it’s only open for a limited time from March through May.
Article continues below
Weather in Amsterdam
When the tulips in Amsterdam are at their prime, the weather in Amsterdam can be quite pleasant but can also turn very suddenly. Because of the unpredictable nature of the weather in Amsterdam, we advise you to pack for all possibilities and bring a warm (preferably waterproof) coat just in case.
Our top tips
- Jun 2, 2023 Tips for the perfect summer in Copenhagen
- May 30, 2023 Amsterdam Art Week: an international hub for art lovers
- May 16, 2023 Experience rainbow colours during Rotterdam Pride
- May 12, 2023 Celebrate the National Day of Sweden: 500 year anniversary
- May 5, 2023 Copenhagen: the city of craft beer
- May 4, 2023 Discover Berlin’s best museums
- May 2, 2023 Celebrating 185 years of ARTIS in Amsterdam
- Apr 18, 2023 A true Dutch party - King’s Day in Rotterdam
- Apr 14, 2023 Visit attractions for free during Stockholm Culture Night
- Apr 11, 2023 Celebrating King's Day in Amsterdam