Why visit Amsterdam: the best festivals in Amsterdam!
There are many fascinating cities in Europe, so why visit Amsterdam? Well, we’ve already covered the countless museums and attractions that are unique to the city, but here is yet another answer to the question “why visit Amsterdam?”. There are over 300 different festivals in Amsterdam, so no matter the time of year, there’s always a huge range of options. Because there are so many festivals in Amsterdam, this week we are narrowing it down and taking a look at music and film festivals in Amsterdam!
Music festivals in Amsterdam
Amsterdam’s festivals attract millions of local and international visitors. These are some of the ones that stand out:
- The Amsterdam Dance Event is a five-day electronic and trance festival. It’s held in October and attracts well over 300,000 people. Several famous artists and DJs like Armin van Buuren, David Guetta, Paul van Dyk and Fatboy Slim have performed in the past.
- Dance Valley, also referred to as “The Woodstock of Dance” has been taking place since 1995 and grown continuously in both scale and popularity ever since. It’s held in August in Spaarnwoude, to the west of Amsterdam.
- If you want to enjoy phenomenal international performances with a terrific lineup, the Amsterdam Roots Festival is an excellent choice. This festival in Amsterdam takes place in June.
- The Grachtenfestival Amsterdam (“Canal Festival”) is a spectacular ten-day classical music festival that takes place in and around Amsterdam’s historic canals in August.
Film festivals in Amsterdam
There are over 30 different film festivals in Amsterdam. Here are some of our favorites:
- Pluk de Nacht (“Seize the Night”) is an outdoor cinema that’s open to the public for free in August, showcasing a variety of independent films.
- Films with a View – Summer Screenings is another great open air cinema, with a fantastic view of the water of the IJ.
- CinemAsia is a festival dedicated to Asian cinema. It’s hosted in March at various locations in the city.
- The International Documentary Film Festival Amsterdam (often abbreviated as IDFA) is one of the world’s most important documentary festivals. It takes places in November and is certainly a must for any fan of documentaries.