The top 5 events in Amsterdam!
There are hundreds, if not thousands of fascinating events in Amsterdam that take place on a yearly basis. Here is a list of 5 events in Amsterdam that you should definitely pay a visit to during your holidays!
- Koningsdag (“King’s Day”, formerly known as Koninginnedag) is a Dutch national holiday in which everybody takes to the streets to celebrate, sell all kinds of items (think of a flea market but on a country-wide scale) and party well into the night. There are also hundreds of stalls offering all kinds of food and drinks. One of the best events in Amsterdam, it takes place on the 27th of April (or the 26th if the 27th is a Sunday).
- Although technically not within the city of Amsterdam itself, the Keukenhof Gardens offer a spectacular display of colors and scents, with more than 7 million flowers blooming at once. They are only a short ride away from the city and thus qualify as one of the best events in Amsterdam. They are only open for two months between March and May, making it one of the most unique events in Amsterdam if you’re in town during the spring (tickets are available here).
- The Amsterdam Light Festival takes place in the months December and January. The whole city will be illuminated by works of different artists created with lights! There are two different routes available during the Amsterdam Light Festival: there is the option to do a walking route or to do a route with a boat, sailing over the illuminated canals!
- The Vondelpark Open Air Theatre takes place from May through September. This fascinating event in Amsterdam offers a variety of live shows, music, theater and all kinds of entertainment in Amsterdam’s most famous park.
- The Grachtenfestival Amsterdam is a 10-day classical music festival, with live concerts in and around Amsterdam’s famous canals. This Amsterdam event takes place in August and admission is free.
Where to stay in Amsterdam?
There are several answers to the question “Where to stay in Amsterdam?”, and they all depend on your needs and your budget. Your hotel choices range from world-class 5* hotels, family hotels or student hostels and room-sharing services like Couchsurfing or Airbnb. If you need more information about where to stay in Amsterdam, we’ve also covered the topic of Amsterdam hotels and accommodation in the past!